Thursday, August 27, 2015

The Nike Awaken

 
The Winged Victory of Samothrace
circa 220-185 BC
Samothrace
Parian marble for the statue and gray Rhodian marble for the boat and base
total H. 5.57 m
Paris, Musée du Louvre
 
She is also known as the Nike, in which Nike brand of shoes was named after.
 
 
I will see this sculpture before I die.


She resides in The Louvre in Paris, I hear she is mighty at nine feet tall and that's not counting the base. I've always felt inspired by this piece as a symbol for strength in femininity. So today she is my inspiration behind this outfit of the day.


 
When I wear a dress I too feel strong and feminine at the same time. I feel its my armor. I feel beautiful, inviting and strong. I feel like my insecurities that may linger from time to time vanquished. There is a reason why this sculpture stands for victory. It has inspired me to feel victorious within my own skin.  


I have sculpted in various mediums myself but have never touched marble, and the movement in her dress , simply amazes me. The skill and talent to carve out something made of stone but to make it look so delicate and flowing as if it is alive is just part of the magic that art can bring. That juxtaposition between hard surface but soft to look at is exactly the mind blowing.


 I think it can be paralleled to how I feel empowered as a woman. I believe every woman can have a soft side and a strong side and I think both can exist equally.

 
So thank you Nike for being that visual representation of that feeling. This dress also made the flow of the fabric become the essence of soft, but today I felt incredibly strong in it.
 
 
 
Outfit Details: Dress/ JCpenny
Shoes: Sanuk/ DSW

 
P.S. These shoes are extremely comfortable, my friend Melissa got me hooked on them. They have a Yoga Matt bottom and the wrap of the sandal is cloth. the most comfortable flip flops I've ever owned. Fins them here
 
How do your cloths make you feel empowered?-FairFawn

No comments:

Post a Comment